Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Bula!

Having been absent from the blogosphere (no, Mum, I did not make that word up) for a couple of weeks, I'm returning with a whopper. The latest in my 'try new things' mission has been an intrepid journey to the coconut-palm-lined beaches of sunny Fiji, thanks to my incredibly kind-hearted and generous parents who shouted us a holiday for our 30th birthdays.

I'll try not to brag too much, but with temperatures hovering around the 29 degree mark, a swimming pool that wound its way invitingly around the resort (complete with pool bar and white-sand beaches), silky smooth water at the beach, which was two steps away, and a full buffet breakfast to kick off each day, it's hard not to boast. Sipping my Fijian Warrior cocktail (which I mistakenly reported to be called a Dark Fijian to the elderly lady next to me, much to her amusement) whilst lying on a lounger by a pool reading a magazine, I could have died a happy woman.

Our little family stayed at the Radisson on Denerau Island, an incredibly family-friendly resort, as evidenced by the full laundry facilities in each room and the multitudes of little kiddies (some of whom came complete with full-time Fijian babysitters). Sure, you probably wouldn't want to stay here if you didn't have kids, but for us it was perfect.

Now, before I paint an overly rosy picture I should mention that holidaying with a 6-month-old and a 2-year-old is no picnic. As one of the mums by the pool put it as she sipped her Blue Hawaiian, 'Same shit, different place.' Our toddler pulled out all the stops to ensure that her parents couldn't completely relax: grizzling, tantrums, grizzly tantrums, refusing to carry out simple tasks and employing the 'no' word at every opportunity.  And our 6-month-old still sleeps about four times a day, forcing one of us to hang around inside for hours at a time, imagining all the fun to be had just a few steps away from the room.

I know what you're thinking - 'shut up, you got to go to Fiji.' And perhaps I should. Suffice to say that next time (and there will be a next time) we'll be bringing some friends along to ensure that we get some adult time to balance out the holiday.

1 comment:

  1. My only regret is that I still don't know what a $20 Mojito tastes like.

    ReplyDelete