Monday, May 16, 2011

Good crafternoon

Now that winter has slithered its way back into our lives, I am presented with a new challenge to my ‘try new things’ mission. Summertime activities included paddleboarding, jogging, archery, visiting a country fair and a butterfly garden – all well and good when the sun is shining and the ground is dry (OK, paddleboarding being the exception there), but now I am restricted by the weather. Not to be put off, my new things this week are definitely inside activities, and I’ve been reminded that one nice thing about winter is the absence of that ‘really must get outside’ feeling when sometimes one just wants to cosy it up indoors.


This week I was inspired by Prime’s excellent River Cottage series (Tuesdays, 7.30pm), hosted by the dorkily charming Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall. His mission is to try to get people to slow down and enjoy food more, and to prove that home-cooked food is not only good for you, but often tastes better too and is actually easier than you think. Last week’s episode was about making bread, and a baker on the show mentioned that one of life’s greatest joys is to bake fresh bread and eat it while it’s still warm from the oven. I am a willing participant in anything joyful, so I shrugged my shoulders, rolled up my sleeves and commenced the time-honoured tradition of bread-making… by hand. No fancy-pants breadmaker for me.

I followed a recipe in Allyson Gofton’s wonderful Bake recipe book. I won’t type the whole thing out but if you’re desperate for the recipe, let me know. It’s very simple – only five ingredients – and the steps are straightforward, but you really need to dedicate an afternoon to it because the dough needs to rise twice. (At least, it does in this recipe.) One important thing is to get the kneading technique right. Put on some funky music and knead to the beat for 8 to 10 minutes. It’s a great forearm workout and an excellent way to relieve any pent-up stress. And, of course, that first cut into the still-steaming crust, followed by the taste of the butter-smothered fluffy bread, makes it all worthwhile. My verdict: making bread is a wonderful cosy-wosy warm winter activity, and you get to feel all ‘back to basics’ and wholesome too.



My other new thing this week was to host a ‘crafternoon’ for my three delightful sisters-in-law. The brief was simply to take some time out and bring along any projects that we’ve been meaning to get to. I made this delicious – and very easy – Magic Slice, which I sourced from the blog of the equally delicious children’s clothing label Bubbalino. We positioned ourselves on the floor of the lounge, surrounded by our crafty tools and materials, and chatted and crafted to our hearts’ content. My project was a present for my fourth sister-in-law, who lives in Dunedin and who happens to be only three years old. I made her a memory game using photos of her Auckland family so she can remember us. In unison – awww! The rainy afternoon was whiled away extremely pleasantly, and was a lovely way to end the week. No wonder I’m feeling so balanced and peaceful today.

So it seems that winter is not going to be too much of a hindrance to this mission. In fact, the more challenges, the more creative one needs to be to find new, interesting and free (or cheap) things to try. As always, let me know if you’ve got any ideas for me.

8 comments:

  1. Awww, what a sweet thing to do! (And I now understand the purpose of your apostrophe query!)

    Steph

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a bread-related question: do you need a hot-water cupboard to make bread if you don't have a breadmaker? I brought yeast yesterday with the intention of making bread, but don't have anywhere warm to leave it to rise...?

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fantastic idea (memory game for our little sister in law). And the bread too, I can smell it already.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you loved the Magic Slice... reading your blog has me feeling "balanced and peaceful" this morning. Thanks again for an enjoyable read! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh and thanks for the Shoutouts! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sam - no, you don't need a hot-water cupboard. You could either put the dough in a room with a heater on, or you can just leave it at room temperature (ie no heat) for longer - it'll rise eventually.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I ate the bread - it was great! And I babysat the girls while Anna had her crafternoon. I can vouch for it to being a very nice way for busy mums to finish the week. Next time your beau sneaks off to watch Sat arvo league at the pub tell him that next week will be crafternoon and he'll have to be on board for child minding!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you, Anna!! I will try it out this weekend :D

    ReplyDelete