Monday, April 25, 2011

Newly Scientific

This ‘try new things’ mission is evolving. I’m attempting to step outside my comfort zone to try things that don’t fit with the concept of self that I have built up over the past 30 years. It’s quite revealing; although I think of myself as quite a confident person, subconsciously I must have decided a long time ago that certain things are just not for me – I am not good at them and do not like them. This mission is proving to be a chance to revisit these things with fresh eyes, and it’s a wonderful opportunity to open doors that have been closed for many years. It reminds me of this beautiful quote from Frederico Fellini, Italian film-maker:

“Put yourself into life and never lose your openness, your childish enthusiasm, throughout the journey that is life, and things will come your way.”


So it was with all this in mind that I picked up the latest copy of my husband’s New Scientist magazine. After 10 years of living with this publication littering my coffee table and the arms of my couch, it was time to take a closer look. Having long ago decided that ‘science’ is really boring and hard, I had accepted that my children will be getting their science tuition and interest from their dad, and I would take care of the languagey, arty type stuff. But what if it’s actually interesting? What if I find that these science guys have something to offer me? I decided to try reading the magazine cover to cover.


I began, as you do, with the editorial, which stated tantalisingly that ‘particle physics has been gripped by an excitement not seen for 16 years’. Apparently the Higgs boson hasn’t yet been found (bummer), but another new theory is gathering steam – a fifth fundamental force called technicolour. Excellent! Or is it? Don’t ask me.


The next few pages were a bit easier on the beginner scientist. Aloe vera has been proved to cause tumours in rats (maybe you should lay off that aloe juice). A Swiss pharmaceutical company is selling a drug based on cannabis. The photographs of amateur astronomers have been used to create a montage of a comet, which helps scientists to map the path of the comet around the sun. And omega-3 eaten in the last months of pregnancy may help to ward off post-natal depression.


I’m only up to page 39 of 56, even though I’ve been reading the mag at every spare moment I have. This is a magazine so chock-a-block with ideas and information that even the ads are intelligent. I think I can actually feel my brain growing as I read it. Reading New Scientist while breastfeeding proves difficult, especially when I’m interrupted every 20 seconds by a toddler shouting demands to watch ‘Windy Pooh’ or gleefully yelling ‘Wees!’ with the smug knowledge that that’s the one thing that will force me up out of the chair.


But I’m surprised to announce that I am determined – and perfectly willing – to read right till the end. I’m especially looking forward to the section about the science of happiness. This month will see the UK become the first country in the world to officially record the happiness of its citizens. The survey to determine this consists of only four questions: How satisfied are you with your life nowadays? How happy did you feel yesterday? How anxious did you feel yesterday? To what extent do you feel the things you do in your life are worthwhile? The point of this research is to ‘enable citizens to make better life decisions and help win support for wiser social policies’. The article goes on to analyse happiness from a psychological and neurological point of view. It should make for interesting reading, and I’m looking forward to finding out more about the survey, and its results later on. And I’ll be picking up the next edition of the New Scientist too – but perhaps next time I’ll give particle physics and anything that mentions the Higgs boson a wide berth.

3 comments:

  1. Definitive evidence of the Higgs boson from the CERN laboratories is imminent. Don't give those pathetic cronies at Fermilab another thought. Technicolour?! What an outrageous theory! I have a theory to explain all of existence. It is the "Polaroid theory" and it involves the universe orbiting around a ginormous polaroid photo of me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice 'polaroid theory', Tarn (!) I'm really impressed with your reading choice, Anna! I don't think I could do it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahaha! Good on you Anna! Soon you will get into WIRED UK too! By the way, I thought Butan already meassured the happines on their country as they have a GNH http://www.southasiamonitor.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1048:bhutan--quotient-of-happiness&catid=77:transitional-democracies&Itemid=107 for quite some time now!

    ReplyDelete