Sunday, February 13, 2011

Mi Cosa Nueva es Tu Cosa Nueva

I'd like to introduce you to my new pet project - Mi Cosa Nueva. For the uninitiated, this translates to 'My New Thing' and springs from the idea that I'd like to start focussing on giving new things a go, and encouraging others to do so too. Why? I am at the beginning of a year's maternity leave, and my experience from my first child was that after a while I really needed to have things to talk about other than the contents of my baby's nappy and how to clip her nails. It's so easy to get stuck in a rut, especially when the Plunket nurses and baby books are screaming 'CONSISTENT ROUTINE' at you.

So in order to shake things up a bit, keep fresh, I thought I'd start trying to do at least one new thing a week, and I thought it'd be cool if others do so too. I want to hear about your experiences in order to broaden my horizons even further. Now, this could be something as simple as trying a new shampoo or finding out the name of a tree in your garden. Or it could be something crazy and big like shearing a sheep (not for me - I don't like touching animals) or starting a circus (cos someone has to, right?).

The thing about trying new things is that it's not always going to work out. Take this blog, for example - my new thing for the week. I started (and finished) writing my first post last night. I wrote about how easy it is to create a blog (just go to http://www.blogspot.com/ and follow the instructions), but then when I hit 'Publish Post' the bloody thing deleted itself! I'm now frantically typing, feeling guilty that I should really be playing with baby and/or getting our toddler's breakfast ready.

I guess the other thing I should mention is that I'm not going for the 'create a fantastic new life and be an amazing person from NOW on' angle. Everyone I know is already interesting in their own way. I really just want to see what's out there, and maybe pick up a couple of cool new skills/habits/consumer goods on the way.

Somewhat sneakily, I've already kicked your 'try new things' journey off by teaching you some Spanish (that is, if you're not already a Spanish speaker, in which case your challenge is still outstanding). 'Mi' = my; 'cosa' = thing; 'nueva' = new.

So, who's with me?

11 comments:

  1. I love this!!
    My new thing for the week is to try and speak to the doctors at work without worrying that I sound like an idiot. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds interesting, my new thing for this week was getting beaten at Basketball by a young guy far more athletic and able then me, at 11am on Sunday morning after being up all evening dancing at Randomplay's Regrooved gig.
    This has not discouraged me and I am aiming to continue playing Basketball after work with these dudes to prohibit myself becoming un-athletic, fat and uncoordinated.
    Soon I will also be writing a script with Neville Bartos which we hope to turn into a play - will keep you in the loop.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. My new thing (well last week), was returning to work part time. Not the most fun thing, but something I was dreading which ended up not being THAT bad (helped by the fact Kate got to stay home with Nana, and isnt at daycare yet).
    I hope to try something way more fun next week, starting research now - love this idea Anna!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea Anna, I love it! I'll play along :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cool idea!

    I havnt been doing "weekly" new things but have started a bunch of things this year.

    I no longer use shampoo, conditioner and facial washes. Instead I wash my hair with baking soda and then do a apple cider vinegar rinse as the conditioner and my hair is so much nicer now - feels soft, less frizzyness and looks healthier and I have only been doing it about 3 weeks so far. Also using the apple cider vinegar as a toner after washing my face with just water :) My skin has improved immensly.

    Also started knitting :) - my current project is cutting up plastic shopping bags as yarn, and knitting them to make a tote bag. Its taking ages but I am loving the fact that the yarn is free and recycled!

    Have fun with your journey!

    Gen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome idea Anna. Well my new thing this week was finding out that dad is now a superstar at home while he is away in Aussie with me. You see his ADOS commercial has finally aired and he is getting texts and Facebook messages from people saying they have seen his next level advert. He is on my way to the big time with this one!!! Wooo hoooo.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome, fellow blogger:)

    I really do hope I can continue my quest that I had started ages ago and left mid way.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is fantastic... I love it! You're so clever and this is going to be a hit! My new thing for this week unfortunately is going to relate to the contents of my toddler's nappy - sorry!! Today I experienced that which I hoped to never... poo on said toddler's hands! eeek... I learnt that I never want to experience that again! See you soon x

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is such an awesome idea! I'm totally with you! My new thing this week was going to Bethells Beach last night to watch the sunset. x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great blog, Anna! My new thing was going to the South Island! This week it'll probably be... a new kind of slice from the caff. I'll be sure to let you know what it was! :)

    ReplyDelete